Jews College, London, which was a college of the University of London until recent years and has been renamed the London School of Jewish Studies and moved to Hendon, was founded in 1855 as a Rabbinical College in London.
This Jubilee book commemorates the first fifty years of Jews College, and starts with a detailed History. As well as articles by various distinguished graduates, it includes a very useful list of graduates from the first 50 years who have become Rabbi’s and ‘Reverends’ or have held Jewish academic positions.
It should be noted that back in 1906 only the Chief Rabbi, Dr. Hermann Adler, used the title “Rabbi” in the United Synagogue. Almost all others were allowed to use the title “Reverend”.