The Jews Deaf and Dumb Home was founded in 1863 by Baroness Mayer de Rothschild as a school where resident Jewish children could learn to speak. Originally in Whitechapel, it moved to Walmer Road, Notting Hill. The first Director was William Van Praagh, from the Netherlands, who had been invited to England to help convert … Continue reading Twenty-First Report of the Jew’s Deaf and Dumb Home, Walmer Road, Notting Hill, London 1891
This little booklet is the tenth Annual report of the Poor Jews Temporary Shelter, which was at 84, Leman Street, Whitechapel, London. A little booklet, but a very important account of Jewish social history. This institution with the name "Poor Jews' Temporary Shelter" was opened in London in the spring of 1885 by Simon Cohen … Continue reading Poor Jews Temporary Shelter – Tenth Annual Report 1894-5.