The Jews Deaf and Dumb Home was founded in 1863 by Baroness Mayer de Rothschild as a school where resident Jewish children could learn to speak. Originally in Whitechapel, it moved to Walmer Road, Notting Hill. The first Director was William Van Praagh, from the Netherlands, who had been invited to England to help convert the School from the manual to the oral method of teaching speech.
The Home moved in 1899, to Nightingale Lane, Wandsworth, and closed in 1965.
The National Archives has its records from the twentieth century, but this fragile little booklet is older – from 1891. The officers and lists of hundreds of donors with their addresses and donations demonstrate support for this charity from mainly the middle and wealthier classes.