This is a snapshot of an important community in Golders Green fifty years ago. The Golders Green Beth Hamedrash was founded by Rabbi Dr. Elie Munk in 1934. Much of the original membership consisted of orthodox German refugees, following the theological approach of Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch.
Rabbi Eliahu Munk (not to be confused with Rabbi Elie Munk of Paris, the father of Lady Jakobovits) was born in Koenigsberg (then in Germany), the son of Rabbi Ezra Munk, who was later rabbi of the Adath Yisrael Congregation in Berlin. After receiving semicha (his rabbinical diploma), as well as a doctorate in English Literature from the University of Marburg, Rabbi Munk came to Britain in 1930. He was, for a short time, rabbinic head of the Union of Orthodox Hebrew Congregations and then founded the Golders Green Beth Hamedrash.
Rabbi Munk was succeeded by Rabbi Chaim Feldman as Rav of the Shul in 1968. He was born in Llanelli, Wales, and received semicha from Gateshead Yeshiva. Rabbi Feldman joined the community as Assistant Rabbi in 1963.
The Yearbook had a review of the year, a number of interesting and quite scholarly articles, and a Luach (a Jewish calendar). Here are some of the initial pages which demonstrate the activity of the community: